Author: Sue
•8:02 PM

I am so happy tonight! I just got some wonderful information from my friend Craig again!
He has ants! Don't we all... and this is the way he deals with them!

I dislike ants, especially the argentine sugar ants.
 
I find the most economical means of doing them in, is using a Boric Acid Sugar solution.
There are commercial products that supposedly work faster, but the solution I use is cheap and effective.
It is slow acting (4 to 5 days) but it works.
 
Boric Acid is a poison but is one of the less toxic types and actually has some medicinal properties.
It's less toxic than aspirin and it's available at most drug stores.
 
I start by boiling the water in the microwave or stove top, then mix the boric acid powder and sugar slowly.
 When it's cool, it's ready to use.
 
I find plastic lids to containers work, but if one has pets or small children, one should use caution and keep it out of reach.
Might be good to use sealed containers with small holes to let the ants in and out.
 
I have a 10 ounce container I use for the mixed solution and it's about right for my needs.
 
Recipes...
 
10 oz. 
5 tablespoons (2.5 oz.s)  Sugar
1 1/8 teaspoons Boric Acid Powder
7.5 oz.s (.94 Cup) Water
 
1 cup
 1 teaspoon Boric Acid Powder
 3/4 cup Water
 1/4 cup Sugar
 
2 cups
2 teaspoons Boric Acid Powder
1 1/2 cups Water
1/2 cup sugar
 
1 quart:
1 cup - Sugar
1 tablespoon + 3/4 teaspoon - Boric Acid Powder
3 cups (1 1/2 pints) -  Water
 
(The above recipies may make slightly more than the total quantity indicated)
 
Tip: One can use a Recipe Quantity Calculator to convert to different quantities.
 
 
Craig
|
This entry was posted on 8:02 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On July 5, 2009 at 9:00 PM , Craig said...

Wow Sue!

Big time improvements to your blog.
It's looking really good!

Thanks for sharing the information.
It's all very interesting.

Craig